CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Old Drum Days are coming! Save The Date! June 11, 2022 11am – 6pm
Cancelled / COVID
Sunday, February 6 2:00pm Contra Dance in the Leland and Zinn Culp Building
Permanent Black History Exhibition of Johnson County Opens
First Graders Visit
Exploring Your Past
· Thursday, April 21 at 6:30 p.m.in Rooms B and C of the Warrensburg Community Center, 445 E. Gay Street
· Presenters: Bruce Uhler, president of the Johnson County Historical Society and Jerome Anderson, West Central Genealogical Society
· Participants will learn about resources, cemetery searches, and other ideas for finding ancestral information in the Johnson County area.
14 Bruce Reed Day, Street Party 10-4pm, 302 N. Main St. Warrensburg, MO Bar-B-Que, Cornhole Tournament, Car Show, Food Vendors, Museum and Courthouse open house for Free
11 June Old Drum Days on the Old Courthouse Square
24 Flea Market Sale at Johnson County Historical Society
30th – Manda Shea Performs – Concert in the Historic Courthouse
1st – Blind Boone Symposium in Warrensburg. Concert, walking and driving tour
1st – William Quantrill Society Visit to Old Courthouse, hear about Marsh Foster Murder. Hosted by Bill Wayne
29 Cemetery Tour – 3-6pm Sunset Hill Cemetery
Concerts in the Courthouse
7th – Bob Walkenhourst
8th – Cowtown Country Club
14th – Nace Brothers Trio
15th / Fred Wickham Caravan
21st – Paul Asher – John Denver Tribute
22nd – Layton Hollow Girls
28th – The Country Duo
29th – Schoolhouse Jammers
21-22 Giant Quilt Show and Antique Tractor Display – Utilizing the four buildings at the Johnson County Mo Historical Complex. Museum, Culp Agriculture Building, Elm Schoolhouse and 1842 Historic Courthouse.
Concerts in the Old Drum Courthouse
4th Betse & Clarke
5th Luehrman, Shaffer, and Check
Decorating and the Opening of the Christmas Magic Tree and Old Courthouse Christmas Celebration Thanksgiving to Christmas nightly
Goals/Plans for 2022—
• A permanent exhibit set up in the Culp Building in October about our Johnson County Century Farms, farm families, and history of our agricultural-based Johnson County Missouri history.
• A permanent exhibit of Black History in Warrensburg and Johnson County Missouri to be in place in February. Need volunteers to help, especially have special memories, photographs, and family history to share.
A display of Pertle Springs has started
An updated military display with a focus on Medal of Honor winner World War I – U.S. Army John Lewis Barkley Details Rank: Private First Class Conflict/Era: World War I Unit/Command: Company K, 4th Infantry, 3d Division Military Service Branch: U.S. Army Medal of Honor Action Date: October 7, 1918 Medal of Honor Action Place: near Cunel, France
• Old Drum Day June 11, 2022 event
• A historic cemetery walk in the autumn
• Raising money so we can digitize all the Daily Star-Journals in our collection from 1925-75. We acquired this from the DSJ when they closed Warrensburg operations.
• Ongoing archiving of all historic court records dating from 1845. Our volunteer-based archivists of Martha Baile, Leota Colster, and Kay Russell, and others have been working on this project for many years now, without any outside funding today. Will do a Facebook tribute to these and other volunteers.
• Renewed online sales of old and a few new products during the year.
• Storage of all original Johnson County Deeds, they are now in our collection in our lower-level archives and West-Central Missouri Genealogical Society area.
• We will have a collaborative project with the UCM McClure Museum. Interns Fall of 2022
• Investigation and fundraising so we could add the necessary 9 parking spaces to the Culp Building.
• Huge focus on available grants for the Davis Store, Old Courthouse maintenance, exhibit funding, and possibly for our work with the Bruce Reed Memorial.
• Ongoing support for the wrestler and native son of Warrensburg, Bruce “Butch” Hacksaw Reed, and his memorial in Warrensburg. Donations are collected and managed by the JCHS, 501 (c) 3 for the committee.
• In April JCHS with the West-Central Genealogical Society will present to the UCM Lifelong Learning program how to research genealogy in Johnson County.
• Schoolhouse Jammers practice and meeting in the Culp Building with an annual concert at our Annual Board meeting in September.
• Opening one night per month of the JCHS museum for those not able to visit during the day. Now open Thursdays 1-8pm
• Repairing and upkeep of the wood, windows, and soffits on the historic old courthouse. Needs many repairs.
• Changing the entrance to the larger, “designed for” entrance on the North Side of the museum, while keeping the East Entrance as a handicap entrance.
• In conjunction with the expert volunteers from the Master Gardeners of Johnson County Missouri, and the CEAburg organization we plan to plant some beautiful, colorful native trees on our grounds that will give the grounds a postcard-like look in decades to come. These trees will have a plaque to honor the donor sponsors wishing to dedicate them to someone’s memory. $500.00 per tree. 4 to 8 trees possible.
• Reopening of our gift shop of JCHS ornaments and locally produced products.
• Ongoing project to save, preserve, restore and hopefully reopen the W O Davis Store on Main Street in the future
• We will continue to share and post our amazing history and photos on our web page, Facebook page, and our blog. We are the #1 local historical organization being viewed and followed in Missouri. In 2021 we had well over 600,000 visitors online.
Thank each of you for all your support over the many years and look forward to serving you, our patrons, even better in the future by sharing and preserving our county history for the young and old of our community.
Hours: 1-4 PM Tuesday, Wed. evenings 5:30 – 8pm 1-8 PM Thursday & 1-4 PM Saturday
To Contact us: email: email@example.com
Follow us on https://www.facebook.com/jocomohistory – frequent new pictures & articles.
Postal address: 302 N. Main, Warrensburg, MO, 64093